CREATING HEALTH FROM THE INSIDE OUT
There will be a major Health, Fitness and Nutrition revolution at the turn of the century. Driven by an aging baby boomer population, nutritional health will become a priority concern. Ardent life extension seekers will travel the globe searching for anti-aging therapies-drugs, herbs, minerals, elixirs, therapies, magic spells and magic potions-to stave off the consequences of old age.
Many respondents consider participation within the world of alternative health care crucial to the pursuit of wellness. For many, alternative health care practitioners provide a source of much-needed relief from problems for which, in the respondent’s views, Western [conventional] medicine offers no solutions. To assist a patient towards wellness is to identify not just the constellation of symptoms, but to truly find the underlying cause of the symptoms.
In a study of America’s Changing Culture and Lifestyle, done by the Hartman Group in 1998 “There emerged a single unifying theme which linked the narrative…” Consumers were virtually unanimous in their search for wellness.
Today’s Typical Patient Presents:
- Chronic Fatigue
- Chronic Backaches
- Muscle Aches and Pains
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- PMS/Menopause Symptoms
True wellness/mind-body wellness is not judged by a snapshot of a single moment but through an understanding of the dynamics of Systemic Interrelationships.
1. Conflict in the consciousness creates disturbances in the physiology function.
2. Functional disturbance leads to cellular damage.
3. Cellular damage leads to dysfunction of organ systems.
4. Improvement of cellular functioning, correcting metabolic imbalances and supporting structural integrity can normalize organ function and promote health.
At the core of every illness is Total Toxin Exposure than has overwhelmed the body’s homeodynamic mechanisms. Exogenous (Environmental) or Endogenous (body’s internal) Toxins may act suddenly or may act insidiously over months or even years.
“The natural death of human beings cannot be regarded as due to exhaustion from reproduction. It is more likely due to an auto-intoxication of the organism. The inherited structure of the human large intestine and the customary diet of civilized man are especially favorable to the multiplication of toxic microbes that cause intoxication,” stated Ellie Metchinikoff, Director of the Pasteur Institute, 1910, and Discoverer of the Phagocyte.
- Pesticides: Insecticides and Herbicides
- Industrial Compounds and Chemical Byproducts
- Combustion/Incineration Byproducts
- Synthetic Medication
- Food Additives and Preparation Byproducts
- Cosmetic Additives
- Products of dysbiosis
- Secondary bile acids
- Beta glucuronidase
- Short chain fatty acid deficiency
Paradoxical Roles for the Intestine:
The intestine selectively absorb a wide variety of water-soluble and fat-soluble nutrients. At the same time, it must exclude undigested protein, microorganisms and their metabolic byproducts, toxins, xenobiotics, and others. The intestine is the largest immune organ. Gut-associated lymphoid tissue accounts for 40% of the immune cells of the body.
Agents Which Damage GI Mucosal Integrity:
1. Bacterial Enteric Infection
3. Food Allergies
4. Drugs and Xenobiotics
5. Toxic Heavy Metals
7. Poor Quality Diet
10. Viral Infections
Leaky Gut Syndrome is comprised of signs and symptoms associated with chronically elevated intestinal permeability to foreign substances. Nutrients are absorbed from the intestine via two pathways: through the epithelial cells and via the junction between them. In some disease states, tight junctions are obliterated by ulcerations or breaks between cells, thus increasing paracellular nutrient and antigen transport. A leaky gut may allow penetration of antigens that are ordinarily prevented from passing through the mucosal barrier.
What are the Causes of Increased Gut Permeability?
- Pancreatic insufficiency, maldigestion, malabsorption
- Radiation, surgery and prolonged immobilization
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Viral and bacterial infection
What Conditions are Associated with Increased Gut Permeability?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Food Allergy
- Acute Gastroenteritis
- Post Surgery
- Chronic Dermatological Conditions
- Pancreatic Dysfunction
- Celiac Disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Crohns Disease
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Autism (an altered intestinal permeability was found in 43% of autistic patients)
Concerns with History of Medications:
Acetaminophen is the most frequent cause of liver failure. Low doses of acetaminophen – those only slightly above, and even occasionally within, the therapeutic range – were associated with severe liver toxicity. The incidence of serious and fatal adverse drug reactions in US hospitals was found to be extremely high. We estimated that in 1994 over 2,216,000 hospitalized patients had serious adverse drug reactions, and 106,000 had fatal reactions. These reactions represent the fourth and sixth leading cause of death.
ARE TOXINS AFFECTING YOUR HEALTH??
• On average, farmers grow crops in 43 feet of toxic soil.
• Two of the largest causes of combustion toxicity are hospitals and production of medications.
• Since WWII, between 75,000 and 80,000 new synthetic chemicals have been released into the environment; less than half have been tested for potential toxicity to humans.
• Over 4 million pounds of pesticides are used annually in the US. This amounts to 8 pounds for every man, woman and child.
• Current law allows 350 different pesticides to be used.
• The average home contains 3-10 gallons of hazardous materials.
• 400 synthetic chemicals can be found in the average human body.
• PCB=s which are carcinogenic, and banned in 1972, are still found in the adipose tissue of 83% of a randomized study of subjects.
• Of the 900 pesticide active ingredients registered in the US, 160 are carcinogens.
• Pesticide content of common foods (highest to lowest), strawberries, bell peppers/spinach, cherries, peaches, cantaloupe, celery, apples, apricots, green beans, grapes, cucumbers.
• Strawberries: soil is covered in plastic sheets, and saturated with methyl bromide. In 1999, over 5 million pounds of methyl bromide were used in the strawberry fields of California. It is a Category I acute toxin.
• Acrylamide, used in french fry cooking, contains 39-82 mcg=s. The EPA limit of 8oz water is 0.12 mcg. It is also the chemical used to make plastic water bottles >shiny=.
• Americans consume about 3 million pounds of antibiotics every year from eating animal products. The chicken and cattle consume 24 million pounds.
• Conditions associated with increased gut permeability: Rheumatoid arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, asthma, skin conditions, alcoholism, urticaria, eczema, acne, IBD, Crohns disease, Cysitc Fibrosis.
• An altered intestinal permeability was found in 43% of autistic patients in a study.
• Prevalence of Parasites in US population: Parasites: 20%, Ghiardia: 7.2%, E. Coli: 4.2%
• Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is the most frequent cause of liver failure.
• In 1994, 106,000 people died from adverse drug reactions.
• Consuming grilled foods contains as many carcinogens as smoking 250 cigarettes.
• Other diseases associated with toxicity: Adrenal stress disorder, autoimmune disorders, estrogen dominance, cardiovascular disease, neurodegenerative patterns, chronic fatigue, Cancer.
• THE NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE AND THE NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF HEALTH SUSPECT THAT 60% OF CANCERS ARE DUE TO THE TOXICITY OF OUR AIR, FOOD, AND WATER.
SO WHAT IS THE ANSWER??
Bio (life) Detoxification (cleansing) is the answer. Dr. Leff specializes in detoxification programs to suit your individual needs. Your personalized program will include the necessary steps to cleanse, heal and regenerate your body of the damage that has occurred. A thorough program of vitamins, minerals, herbs and other natural substances will be prescribed for your individual concerns.
The purpose of the detoxification program is to heal the digestive tract and get it to function optimally. Concerns of the leaky gut will be addressed. The liver, kidneys, gallbladder, and intestines will be cleaned and tuned up. The adrenal glands and your hormone levels will begin to come into balance. The thyroid gland will also get a much-needed tune-up. Every symptom and disease are the results of a cascade of things going wrong in your body. The detoxification program addresses all of the individual systems separately, as well as their influence on each other.
Along with the nutritional regiment, specific dietary changes will be necessary. The elimination of potentially harmful foods as well as the addition of healing and cleansing foods will be addressed.
Your personalized nutrition and bio detoxification program will contain which supplements, in which dosages and combinations you should be taking, as well as which foods you should and should not be eating, when and in what combinations. It is a thorough and rigorous program, and in my opinion, the best one available, anywhere.